Friday, August 13, 2010

Tokyo and Tahiti! - Day 3

Day 3 – August 10, 2010 – Moorea

Today was a day devoted to snorkeling. We began at Les Tipaniers beach where the coral went on for miles but the water was only about 3 feet deep. Kevin was determined to get as far away from shore as possible so he and I started to snorkel and follow paths of sand in between coral. He is a faster swimmer so he took the lead and I like to drop back a bit so that he doesn’t kick me or stir up all the fish that I want to see. The distance between us eventually led to me following a different path that dead-ended in a large mass of coral that reached the water’s surface. I got scratched. It hurt a lot. Korey and Dad joined us for awhile then we all swam in to shore to eat lunch. I tried a Mai Tai which was either created here or is just super popular here. After the meal we dropped Korey off at the rental place and the rest of us went to the Sofitel resort to peruse its beaches. We got a close up look at the grass-roof bungalows that you see in all the tourism photos of Tahiti then hit the beach. Here there was a lot less coral and a lot deeper water, but somehow there were also a lot more fish. Good deal. We swam around and I made a few fish friends that followed me around. Finally, we checked out the infinity pool then set off for the grocery store. After cooking a delightful meal, the entire family played “presidents” for a few solid hours. I think tonight we may be watching The Bounty (a 1984 movie with Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins) because it was filmed in the bay right outside our window.

No comments:

Post a Comment